Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Good Start


The start of my new blog, A Blog Around The Clock went really well. Even before the Big Launch, some people figured out the URL and came to visit (43 on Wednesday and 31 on Thursday).

On Friday, the new homepage was released exactly at noon, with no glitches (Tim, the tech guy there is a Grand Master!) and all of the 25 or so new blogs were made public. I made ten posts that afternoon, carefully spaced at 30 minute intervals (ah, the glories of scheduled posting!). Although none of the Big Blogs linked to the SB 2.0 (or to me in particular) on Friday, I made very respectable 564 visits that day (still a little below the total sum of traffic on my three old blogs combined).

The weekend saw a little bit of a slump as usual, bringing in 354 and 401 hits on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

On Monday, I started the day by reposting my most popular post from Circadiana (which used to be here) - Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask) - on the new blog. You can see it here. That day, the traffic rose to 752 visits.

But Tuesday was really cool! Someone noticed the sleep post and put it on Digg. An avalanche started! I got 25,986 hits that day! Actually, this was the only day in history that Pharyngula was not the most visited blog on SEED. PZ Myers usually accounts for about half the traffic there, but on Tuesday he came in second! Digg rocks!

I printed out the pie-chart from Google Analytics that shows A Blog Around The Clock taking 34.04% and Pharyngula 18.94% of the Seed scienceblogs.com traffic so I can frame it and put it on the wall - this is a unique and unlikely-to-be-repeated day in history. PZ was quite kind about it behind the scenes and extended a friendly tentacle.... Of course, by today, he is back on top again. Instead of 2000 visits per hour, I am now down to about 200 visits per hour, for a total of 3,331 hits so far today (3pm). Still, it was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, that post is not the only thing up there. I have posted about 30 times so far, so please go over there and check it out. Also, while there, check out the entire SciBloggiverse of 44 excellent science blogs. Checking the Last 24 Hours page is probably the best way to track down what has been posted there recently. And, if you have not done so already, please adjust your bookmarks, blogrolls and newsfeeds to the new URL (either my own feed or the collective feed of the whole SEED blogging stables).

posted by Bora Zivkovic @ 3:07 PM | permalink | (0 comments) | Post a Comment | permalink