Tuesday, April 04, 2006

New York City Bloggers?


Except for my neighbors here in NC, I am usually not aware of the location of various bloggers, even those I read every day. Of course, there are some exceptions - who does not know that PZ is in Morris, Minnesota? I am sure I know many NYC bloggers but am consciously aware of only two off the top of my head.

Why am I mentioning all this? Because I'll be in NYC on May 25-29th.

I am going with my family and meeting up with my brother and his wife for the opening of their exhibition in Chelsea on the 25th (I'll post a link once there is something online about it).

And then, we'll do all the touristy stuff - Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Times Square at night...etc.

I have only passed through NYC once, when I first arrived in the US in 1991. After landing on JFK, I switched buses at Port Authority Bus Station, which, if I am correct, is now a hole in the ground since 9/11.

My kids are really excited about the trip, too. So, we'll do what all the first-timers in NYC do - eat NY pizza in NY! Perhaps see a play, though neither Cats nor Fiddler On The Roof will be on in late May. Which play is good and kids-friendly?

I am so lucky that, due to great interest, the Darwin Exhibit at the National Museum of Natural History has been extended until May 29th - we are arriving at the last moment. My son and I are particularly excited about that, and my daughter will love the rest of the museum. The kids are up to 12 years old, I have a student ID, and I subscribed to Natural History magazine in my wife's name so she's the member of the Museum - all those should give us some discounts. Do I need to buy tickets in advance?

What else in NYC we should not miss? Where are Pale Male and Lola nesting?

What is a decent, yet inexpensive hotel, roughly in the SW-Central Park area? Something I can afford, but without cockroaches?

As we are travelling as a family, I cannot be dragged away to something like Drinking Liberally, but if you want to meet me and my family, drop me a line, and perhaps we can get together at one of those touristy spots, or at the Museum, or at my brother's exhibition.

posted by Bora Zivkovic @ 9:01 AM | permalink | (9 comments) | Post a Comment | permalink