Thursday, November 17, 2005

My first high-school teaching experience


Yesterday morning I went to Hillsborough and talked to two 10th grade classes about circadian clocks and sleep. That was quite an experience. I have just realized right there and then that this was the first time that I have ever set foot in an US high school.

I've had a PPT slideshow ready, but I suspected that a high school was not as technically well equipped as a University, so I changed my mind and did the whole thing just talking and drawing on the whiteboard (I was right about the AV - it did not work).

I was pleasantly surprised to see the kids genuinely interested and asking many good questions - both interrupting me throughout the lesson (THAT I liked a lot) and at the end. I was surprised at how many questions had something to do with alcohol. I was expecting questions related to sex.

Oh, and how did I get this gig in the first place? Well, of course, the science teacher reads both of my blogs... Thanks for the invitation and the experience.

posted by Bora Zivkovic @ 10:17 AM | permalink | (1 comments) | Post a Comment | permalink