Sunday, March 20, 2005

Tennessee Waltz - Leonard Cohen version


Most of you probably know that old song, the Tennessee Waltz. It has a special emotinal meaning to me (OK, no more...my wife reads this - no need to remind her I had a life before I met her...). I was aware for a while that Leonard Cohen (one of my favourite singers/songwriters) has penned a second verse, but I did not know if he had recorded it before. I bought a relatively recent CD of his, "Dear Heather" and I put it in and, voila, there it was, bringing chills down my spine....


I was dancin' with my darlin'
to the Tennessee Waltz
when an old friend I happened to see.
I introduced him to my darlin'
and while they were dancin'
my friend stole my sweetheart from me.


I remember the night
and the Tennessee Waltz
'cause I know just how much I have lost.
Yes, I lost my little darlin'
the night they were playing
that beautiful Tennessee Waltz


I remember the night ...


She goes dancin' with the darkness
to the Tennessee Waltz
and I feel like I'm falling apart
and it's stronger than drink
and it's deeper than sorrow
this darkness she left in my heart


I remember the night ...


That beautiful Tennessee Waltz


posted by Bora Zivkovic @ 5:40 PM | permalink | (1 comments) | Post a Comment | permalink