Friday, November 05, 2004

Coda


After I wrote the previous fighting post, I took a couple of days off. I switched off the TV. I switched my radio dial from NPR to music. I did not buy newspapers. I did not surf the web. Instead I tried to locate a file on my computer with the title "Dissertation" in hope of getting back to work of finishing it, defending by the end of the year and moving on. I also spent time with my wife and kids, talking about non-political topics. I took the dog for long walks. And you know...I suggest you all do the same - it does one's body and soul a lot of good. These were four rollercoaster years, and another four are just ahead of us. Everyone needs to take a break, take a deep breath and recharge batteries.

Now that my nerves have calmed, I can get back to the politics again. I am planning on writing a couple of longish posts on my thoughts about the election, and about what I think we should do for the next four years. I will then go around the blogosphere and see what others have written and comment on that. I am also aware (viva Technorati) there are new discussions on Lakoff on some blogs that I intend to read and comment on. I am also planning to write several reviews of books I have recently read. But first things first: I need to find a nice get-well card to send to Elizabeth Edwards.

While you all eagerly await my words of wisdom (sic!), let me post something that has more to do with science than politics:



John Burdon Sanderson Haldane was born at Oxford, England on this day in 1892.
He was educated at Eton and Oxford, but possibly most important is the fact that
he assisted his scientist father in the lab from age eight. His primary work was
in genetics, being the first to provide a mathematical basis for Mendelian
genetics and for Darwin's evolution. He taught at Oxford, Cambridge, and the
University of London. In 1957 he became disgusted with policies of the British
government and moved to India where he spent the rest of his life. As scientists
go, he was a pretty quotable chap.



Today's Quotes:

Einstein - the greatest Jew since Jesus. I have no doubt that Einstein's
name will still be remembered and revered when Lloyd George, Foch, and William
Hohenzollern share with Charlie Chaplin that uneluctable oblivion which awaits
the uncreative mind.

If one could conclude as to the nature of the
Creator from a study of his creation it would appear that God has a special
fondness for stars and beetles.

Now my own suspicion is that the
Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

There are 400,000 species of beetles on this planet, but only 8,000
species of mammals.

I have come to the conclusion that my subjective
account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't
know why I do things.

While I do not suggest that humanity will ever be
able to dispense with its martyrs, I cannot avoid the suspicion that with a
little more thought and a little less belief their number may be substantially
reduced.
- All from J. B. S. Haldane, 1892 – 1964

Copyright
2001-2004 G. Armour Van Horn, all rights reserved. This document may be
distributed freely. Please forward the complete message including this copyright
notice.

quotemaster@qotd.org



posted by Bora Zivkovic @ 1:12 PM | permalink | (0 comments) | Post a Comment | permalink